Skip to main content

The Litmus Test

I have a friend that I am going to start calling, "Litmus Test." It's no fault of her own, but circumstances have just worked out that way. To be clear, I also don't mean it in an insulting manner. However, the nickname is just too fitting to pass up.

Why, you ask? Well, gather 'round, children. I've got a couple of stories to tell.

A long while back, I was dating a girl that I introduced to a few of my friends. The girl had actually planned a surprise birthday party for me, and it was the first time that she was meeting some of these people. She was both nervous & excited about interacting with all of these people, and I didn't really blame her. One of the people she met happened to be Litmus Test, and they greeted each other with a hug. Seeing that things were okay, I left her side to greet a few other guests that had shown up. The party seemed to go well, so I figured it was a success.

Au contraire.

Apparently, the Mild Ex had grievances with a few people at that party. I didn't personally witness anything along those lines, but I also had to be a decent host so I wasn't with her the whole time. This did not help matters any, and I somehow ended up in a big fight. The actual fight and the results are completely irrelevant to this tale, the point is that shortly after this party, I had a fight on my hands.

Fast forward a few years and a couple of Mild Ex'es, and a girl I was dating met Litmus Test for the first time. As before, things were fine during the actual event when they met. They exchanged pleasantries, and everyone seemed to be getting along well. A couple of days later, I once again had a big fight on my hands. Like I said, the details and the outcome aren't really the point (also, you should know by now that the point of my writing isn't to air dirty laundry). What is pertinent, though, is that some girl I was dating met Litmus Test, and then shortly thereafter, I had a fight on my hands.

I could understand this happening once, but twice? I'm thinking it's not exactly a coincidence. Also, Litmus Test has met exactly two women that I have been dating. She's batting 1.000 as of now. Now, to be fair to her, Litmus Test is innocent in all of this. But somehow, her mere presence is enough to trigger these events. Some people are considered good luck charms, some people act as muses for other people, and some people instigate fights. I just happen to be friends with the last one.

So, given all of this, you can see why my friend has earned the nickname. On the other hand, I've decided that if Litmus Test ever meets a girl that I'm dating and I don't end up in a big fight, I may have no choice but to marry that girl. I call her Litmus Test for a reason.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...