Skip to main content

Personal Soundtracks

You know how some couples have a song? It'll be some random song that means a lot to them, and whenever one of them hears the song, it'll remind that person of the other half of that relationship. Well, I do that, too. The catch, however, is that I associate music with people that I'm not dating. I don't know why, but some combination of my memory, my penchant for finding patterns, and my sense of humor means that I will hear a song and be reminded of certain people.


Now, I can understand if you think that this is weird. I have found that more often than not, though, the associations I make between the song and the person are pretty amusing. For example:

  • The chorus of Carrie Underwood's "Before He Cheats" reminds me of one of my sister's friends. This guy apparently did not know that a Louisville slugger was a type of baseball bat. As a result, he was very, very confused by the part where she says she used one to trash a car.

    Rightfully so, my sister gave him a hard time about it. Then, the guy mentioned that he was a baseball fan, but he'd never heard of that bat. Even more rightfully so, my sister renewed & increased her teasing.

    Knowing all of that, I get a little bit of a chuckle every time I hear that song.
  • A while back, MTV made a movie that mocked the whole boy band fad. Even better, the actors actually released music videos. One of those songs, Calculus, reminds me of a high school friend of mine.

    The song is absolutely ridiculous, but a few of my high school friends and I were up late one night watching bad TV. The movie came on, and we all got our laughs. In the midst of all of the laughter, one person jokingly suggested that we should create our own spoof of the spoof. Running with the joke, a new moniker was born: Driving 30 (it was a play on Matchbox 20). Since that day, I have always had that Calculus song etched in my brain along with a footnote reminding me of the person who wanted to recreate it in real life.
  • Juanes' "Mala Gente" reminds me of my cousin. As is probably obvious by the title of the song, it is in Spanish. My cousin doesn't really speak Spanish, but she likes that song. She understands a little bit, and she's picked some up from hanging out with my family. Now, she knew enough to know that the song was a break up song. However, she didn't know all of the words, so she didn't quite understand them all.

    Well, I was translating for her since it came up in conversation. There happen to be some choice words for the ex-girlfriend in that song, and one line says that she will burn in hell. It's not just that, though. A slightly better translation would be more like, "you will burn in hell slowly, you lying wench of a woman. Sucker." It's got a touch of whimsy, but the sentiment really is unkind.

    You should've seen my cousin's face when I explained this. The connotations of the words dawned on her, and her face couldn't help but express some surprise. She also laughed really, really hard at the exact same moment. I can't hear this song anymore without hearing my cousin's laugh in my head.
  • Fort Minor's "Remember the Name" reminds me of my coworker. I had mentioned the song during some conversation, but she had never heard of it. The most recognizable part of that song is probably the chorus, so I recited some of that:

    This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill,
    fifteen percent concentrated power of will
    five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain,
    and one hundred percent reason to remember the name


    She still didn't recognize the song. However, now that she knew what the song was about, she made an exasperated sound, and commented that only I would like a song with a math equation in the middle of it. I cracked up then, and I still get a good hearty chuckle out of it when I remember the exchange.

    Of course, she was probably right. The first time I heard that song, I distinctly remember adding up the numbers to make sure they actually added up to 100 percent. Also, if you went back to double check my math, you are not allowed to give me any crap about this.
  • "My Girl" by the Temptations reminds me of my sister in law. This is all my brother's fault.
Like I said earlier, I suspect this list is only going to grow. As I listen to new music and have new conversations with people, there are bound to be new comical conversations. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...