Skip to main content

Reading is Important, Kids

In general, I really dislike the concept of tl;dr. If you care enough to read about something, just read the darn thing. Sure, there are cases where people are overly verbose, but those are the exception, rather than the rule. Instead, tl;dr gets used as an excuse for people to avoid reading. In its most common usage, it's a form of laziness.

The real world is full of nuances, and you miss out on all of that if you see the world through CliffsNotes glasses. In particular, I tend to think that you miss important details when you're constantly asking for the executive summary.

You want to know why I think this? Because I learned this the hard way.

My friend was in town a little while ago, and she wanted to get some people together for a meal. After a little negotiating on what would meet everyone's dietary restrictions, she settled on Samovar. Now, if you either know San Francisco or if you clicked on the link, you will notice that there are several locations with that exact name. Knowing this, she made sure to specify at which of the three possible Samovar's we were supposed to meet.

I remember seeing the invitation, and I also checked the location to make sure. I saw the word "Mission," so I made plans to get myself to the downtown location. That one is in Yerba Buena gardens, which happen to be on 3rd St and Mission St. It was a fairly straight shot on the bus, so I figured I'd just take public transportation to get there.

I planned out my arrival fairly well, since I arrived a few minutes past the appointed time. Not seeing anyone, I called my friend to verify where they were, if they had made a reservation, and how many people were in our party.

My friend was a little confused, since she was sitting inside the venue and did not see me anywhere. In a moment of realization, she asked where I was. With a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach, I told her where I was. Her response:

"Oh, no, it's not that one. We're at the one in the Mission, on Sanchez St."

After apologizing for my idiocy, I flashed back to the invitation and realized that the location had actually said "the Mission" instead of "3rd and Mission." Like I said, you miss important details when you don't read. The worst part of it all was that the actual location was closer to my house than the incorrect one. I could have actually had a shorter bus ride had I actually, you know, read the invitation properly.

Fortunately for me, I caught a bus fairly quickly, so it only took me about 20 minutes to get there. Combining this with the fact that everyone else was also running late, I was able to sit down at the table before anyone had ordered their food. All in all, it worked out all right, other than some mild embarrassment on my part. Still, all of the laughter at my expense could have been avoided.

Learn from my mistake, people. Don't whine about reading. It's good for your social life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...