Skip to main content

Locational Klutz

For the most part, I'm fairly coordinated. I'm not an Olympic level anything, but I'm not scared to step on a basketball court or wield a hammer in my back yard. I think the funniest way anyone has ever described this was, "you were one of those kids that sprinted outside for recess as fast as possible, weren't you?" And heck, that person was right. I was one of those kids.

Basically, I'm lucky to have that going for me. Well, most of the time. For whatever reason, there is one place that seems to completely undo that ability in me. And boy, when it goes wrong, do some very embarrassing things happen.

The first time, I was over at my friend's place when she was assembling some furniture she'd ordered. It was one of those shoe rack things, so it wasn't meant to be super complicated. Seeing as how I wasn't doing anything else (we were waiting for her husband and another friend of ours to come over), I started to help. The diagram and the Engrish instructions weren't very helpful, but I figured out how to put it together.

I did, however, mess up one small detail. This thing didn't have hinges, it had ball-and-socket type connections (like your shoulder) on each end of the doors that effectively let those doors open and close. And the joints had two pieces that looked like they could fit there: a brass piece and a plastic piece. Not giving it much thought, I used the plastic ones. Wrong choice. By the time we finished, the whole thing was functional, but we realized that if someone looked really closely, the plastic joints looked wrong.

I swore at myself. Then I realized that fixing the mistake would require undoing three-fourths of the work. I swore at myself some more. To make matters worse, the second friend had showed up and she let me have it. I believe the phrase "next time don't do anything until I show up" was thrown about. I was kicking myself for most of the evening.

If that had been the worst of it, though, I would have simply laughed it off. No, I was back there on a completely unrelated occasion when I was reminded of my screw up. We were watching basketball in their theater (e.g., man cave), eating all sorts of unhealthy food and drinking. Realizing that we didn't have any cup holders or anything, I had kept an eye on my beer. However, someone offered up some chips and salsa, and the only central location for everyone was on the carpeted floor. Sitting down, I looked around for somewhere to put my beer. The carpet was pretty thick, so I figured it would hold my beer up right if I was careful. I tentatively placed it down, and it seemed to hold. Happy with my solution, I turned away to indulge in the chips and salsa.

Did I mention that this was a fairly thick carpet? This was completely-disguise-the-sound-of-a-beer-bottle-falling-over type of thick. I turned back to my beer a few seconds later, and there was a nice puddle forming on top of the carpet. I quickly righted the bottle and cleaned up what I could, but I still felt like a goof ball. Of course, it didn't help that it was a thick carpet, so that it had seeped in. Luckily it was a bathroom rug, which was meant to deal with moisture. Still, I spent quite a while helping to undo the damage I had caused. Again, I was kicking myself for a while after that.

After these incidents, though, I've decided that whatever is in those walls is my kryptonite. I'm going to have to be super careful the next time I go over there, lest I burn down the house or something.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Timer

There are a bunch of everyday tasks around the Mild Home that require waiting some amount of time. Say I put want to put something in the oven, I need to make sure that I take it out after a set amount of time. I mean, bad things happen if you leave food in the oven for a long time. If you're lucky, it's just inedible; if you're unlucky, then the smoke alarm is involved. Quite a few of them involve food (steep the tea for X minutes, uncover the pot after Y minutes, etc.), so that should come as no surprise. However, I recently had to use baking soda and vinegar to help unclog a sink. As I discovered, you don't just dump those things down the sink. You wait 5-10 minutes after mixing those ingredients in the sink, to let them do their thing. Otherwise, it just fizzes for a bit, and nothing really happens. In either case, I needed to wait for a set amount of time. Now, when it comes to setting a timer, I have a few options. There are timers on the stove and on my cell phon...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...