Skip to main content

Curious Substitutions

Today's story, much like many of the recent ones, is about groceries during a pandemic. There have been a few amusing stories along those lines already, including a fun way to describe items that we are craving at a particular point in time. As I've mentioned before, we do prefer to have groceries delivered where possible, since it minimizes our contact with others. It involves a little bit more planning and sometimes we have to adjust due to availability, but it's mostly worked out so far.

For this particular order, there were two items of note: bok choy and oat milk. Let's start with the oat milk, shall we? I don't remember at what point we started to drink oat milk, but it's been a reasonable substitution for other kinds of milk (we actually sampled a few of them before settling on that). So, I added it to our order, and allowed substitutions. Generally speaking, we prefer getting some version of that item to not getting it at all. Sure enough, we got a notification that some other brand/size was going to be substituted for the one we'd asked for.

Well, we didn't mind, since that was the whole point of allowing substitutions. When we received our groceries, however, we were greeted with this:

Notice that this does not say "milk"

Now, I'm not super well-versed in the land of coffee accoutrement, but I remember thinking that this was wrong. I mean, there is a difference between milk and creamer. Heck, this is why half-and-half is a thing, and I've at least heard that enough times that I knew that this substitution was an odd one.

Still, I could sort of understand what had happened in that particular case. After all, it's easy to miss a word or grab a bottle that has been misplaced. And since I tend to put the milk in my coffee anyway, I figured we could try this newfangled creamer thing.

The other substitution in that order, however, had me laughing. If you remember from the earlier paragraph, that item had been bok choy. Bok choy is actually a fairly large vegetable, so I had only asked for one of them. To give you some idea of how much food that is, the estimated weight for one normal-sized bok choy was something like 1.2 pounds. Like I said, it's not a small vegetable. In terms of size, it's like a celery on steroids.

Since the bok choy had been unavailable, our bok choy had been substituted with baby bok choy. That seems like a reasonable enough switch, since they both have the same name. One is just bigger than the other. So, how much baby bok choy did they give us?

This much

That is decidedly not one pound worth of food. In fact, it is precisely one baby bok choy's worth of food. Yup, the person looked at the order, and figured a one-for-one substitution made sense. Since this was an online order, I actually know how much food that was: about a third of a pound. Yup, we got like a fourth of what we wanted. Like I said earlier, some bok choy beats no bok choy, but I couldn't help but laugh at what had happened with our grocery order.

This pandemic sure has led to some interesting food/grocery shenanigans.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...