Skip to main content

Vegan Gum

I have a bad habit of forgetting to check the expiration date on some things. It's not that I'm trying to hold on to items for longer than they are useful, it's just that I forget that they're there.

For example, I used to keep some allergy meds in my backpack back when I was going to the office. It wasn't that I needed them all the time, but I didn't want to take a stroll outside and then spend the rest of the day being unfit to be around people. So, I took a precaution by keeping some meds on me. However, I didn't need them very often, so they just sort of sat there for months. And then the Mild Wife would notice a long time after that, and exclaim that I had expired allergy medicine. You get the idea.

The same was true for a pack of gum that I used to keep in my lunch bag. It was there mostly as a precaution when I was packing lunch and bringing it to the office. I didn't have pungent foods for lunch very often, so it mostly sat there unused. From what I understand, gum doesn't technically expire, but you can definitely tell if you've popped a piece of "old" gum into your mouth. It's tough instead of pliant, and it's not a pleasant experience.

Well, now that the Mild Wife and I are working from home, this is less of a concern. We can generally keep an eye on things, and replenish them when necessary. The gum is a perfect example of this; we don't chew gum very often, so when we finish the last piece, we know that we don't have any left. Given this state of affairs, we decided to order some gum from one of our favorite pandemic retailers, Amazon. We didn't really care too much what brand we got, we just wanted gum.

In the end, we ordered this item:

It wasn't a brand we were familiar with, but it's gum, for crying out loud. We just wanted something that we could chew and didn't have the consistency of dry rubber. It was a reasonable enough price, too.

The first time we went to have some, though, we realized that this was a very different type of gum. Instead of being wrapped in in sheets of paper, the gum came in these little pellets. There were little pieces of paper in a separate container that you could use to dispose of the finished product, but the packaging was very different than the "mainstream" ones that we've seen before. It was a little surprising the first time.

At one point, inspiration struck, and I ended up joking that we'd accidentally purchased the "vegan gum." Yup, we were rocking the all-natural, gluten-free, organic gum with environment-friendly packaging (I have no idea how much of that is actually true, but I'm guessing more than half). The joke drew a quick chuckle from the Mild Wife, but this product has effectively become that in my mind. It shall now and forever be known as the vegan gum, as far as I'm concerned.

Who knew that a simple purchase would lead to a lifetime branding of a product?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...