Skip to main content

Baby Beluga

Every so often, a random topic of conversation makes its way through the Mild Home. There is no real rhyme or reason to it, it just sort of happens. It can be about just about anything, and, in all honesty, it's part of the fun of conversations between the Mild Wife and I. I mean, imagine if you're just sitting there on a random Thursday afternoon, and then suddenly you find yourself cackling at the notion of someone in the family might have two cats. That's spice of life type stuff, you know?

Anyhow, I have a new addition to this random assortment of musings from the Mild Home. In this case, we're going to revisit a childhood lullaby, Baby Beluga. Now, it has been many, many years since I have sung that particular song, so I don't remember all of the lyrics off the top of my head. All I really remember is "baby Belua in the deep blue sea, swim so wild and swim so free." I actually suspect I'm not alone in this, either, because that's arguably the catchiest part of the whole song.

The Mild Wife, however, remembers more of the lyrics. Specifically, she remembers the part of the hook that goes, "is the water warm? Is your Mama home?" This was entirely news to me, as I flat out didn't remember that being part of the song. The Mild Wife, however, had a very clear, distinct memory of those lines, so she enlightened me on the lyrics in that part of the song.

This was particularly important because the Mild Wife mentioned that she used to feel bad for Baby Beluga when she was a kid. For me, that song has always had this notion of being cheery and upbeat. But when you consider that Baby Beluga may be cold and unsupervised, this nursery rhyme sounds a tad less cheery and perhaps not so upbeat anymore. In fact, the Mild Wife mentioned that her reaction to this portion of the song was roughly, "what do you mean 'is your mama home?!' Where the heck is Baby Beluga's Mom?!"

Like I said, it's amusing as all heck when random bits of conversation like that happen. We shared a good hearty laugh about the young Mild Wife's objection to this song, to the point where I'm not liable to forget those lyrics in the song anytime soon.

Also, I don't plan on singing that to any nieces or nephews anytime soon. Twinkle twinkle is just fine by me, thank you very much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...