Skip to main content

A Simple Stretch

My job requires me to sit a lot. It's not a huge inconvenience or anything, but it's a well-known risk of my profession that it can lead to back pain and carpal tunnel. It's just one of those things that I have to watch out for.

For the most part, it's not a huge deal, especially since I do push ups every hour during the work day. Getting up at least once per hour helps to break up the long periods of sitting in the same position, so the longest amount of time that I'm seated in the same position is about an hour. I hadn't intended those push ups to be a posture and ergonomic thing, but I'll happily take the side effects.

Still, there's only so much that a quick break from sitting can do, so I started looking into ways to tweak my posture. I mean, why not be proactive about stretches and exercises to try to prevent harm? What's the worst that can happen? I have a stronger back?

As it just so happens, I found a YouTuber that seems to have some good suggestions on general fitness recently, so I looked up his videos to see if he had anything for posture. As it turned out, he did. Now, I'll mention that I saw his stuff referenced on a random Reddit thread, and the feedback was overwhelmingly favorable. Lots of people seemed to appreciate his positive vibe and the fact that he had legitimately useful tips. So, I figured I'd give it a go.

One of the first things he suggested was an exercise where you stand with your back to the wall and lift your arms. It sounds really simple, but he suggested it as a first step to try to strengthen your back muscles. So, I started there. If it was as easy as it sounded, then I'd just move on to the next exercise. If not, well, I knew what to work on.

It hurt.

You know how some people say the first time they do yoga it hurts like hell because they're working muscles in new ways? Yeah, it was like that. I stood there, with my back to the wall, and it was surprisingly difficult to get my hands up. I didn't want to cheat by arching my back, so I basically felt those muscles in my back protest from being used in ways they hadn't been before.

On the one hand, it is disappointing to realize that those particular muscles need that much work. However, the flip side of that is that I can feel the progress because I'm in the earlier stages of strengthening those muscles. About a week later, I could actually start to feel when my shoulders started to slouch forward. It's kind of cool to literally be able to feel the progress.

That said, you better believe I'm going to keep doing this stretch. I'm not trying to turn a blind eye now that I know that my upper back needs work and how to fix it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...