Skip to main content

Preferences

The Mild Wife is fond of saying that people have "preferences." Like if you were to look in my closet, you'd probably notice that a fair number of my clothes follow a pattern. I don't wear tons of bright colors, for example. Sure, I've got some yellow and red shirts, but there are a lot more items in dark blues and blacks. I don't duplicate shirts or clothing items, but some colors definitely show up more than others. Like she says, people have preferences.

Now, this also extends to habits in general. Heck, I've been known to say "habits die hard" on more than one occasion (like this blog post). It's the same basic principle as having preferences, only with muscle memory and repetition added to the mix. If you've done something for weeks or months, it's very likely that you'll naturally default to that again.

In this particular case, the habit has to do with wrapping and unwrapping presents. To be completely frank, I tend to be somewhat meticulous about this activity (leading to some amusing anecdotes). I was that kid that would carefully remove the tape at the seams of the wrapping paper, rather than just tearing through any piece of exposed wrapping paper. I don't know why I approached the presents this way, I just did. I know my siblings didn't do this, so I figure it's more of a nature than a nurture thing.

The Mild Wife has obviously seen this, since we've shared more than a few birthdays and Christmases together. She is more similar to my siblings in this regard, but she knows my preferences, so she mostly just chuckles while I try to surgically remove wrapping paper. It's not her style, but she derives a little bit of amusement from watching me go about unwrapping presents in my own style.

Now, you might be wondering why I'm writing about this in early June. It's not my birthday yet, and it's certainly not near Christmas. So why am I writing about presents?

Grocery deliveries, that's why.

We still have groceries delivered to the Mild Home on occasion, and one of the things that happens is that they put a sticker over the top of paper bags. I've never seen an official explanation, but these stickers identify the delivery by using a random word (something like "lake") and also the number of bags. So when we get our groceries, if there are two bags, they'll each have a sticker, and they'll say "lake 1/2" and "lake 2/2" on them.

More importantly, these stickers are placed at the top of the bag, to seal them. It's not just a label on the side, the stickers are sort of a tamper-proof seal for your delivery. The sticker thing is big enough that you can't realistically get to the contents without removing it or tearing the bag. I would imagine the intent is to provide a sense of reassurance that nothing got in to the bag mid-trip.

However, those qualities also mean that we have to remove the sticker once we receive delivery. We more or less have to tamper with the seal in order to put the groceries away. You can probably see where this is going; when I'm in charge of putting the groceries away, I fastidiously peel off the sticker and then fold it down inside the bag. Basically, I remove it as simply as possible. You can still tell where the sticker used to be, but it's an attempt to be surgical. Again, people have preferences.

This all came to a head recently when the Mild Wife and I were putting away groceries. She was watching me carefully peel the sticker back on one of the eggs when she blurted out, "you put away groceries like you unwrap presents!"

She's not wrong, but the whole thing was met with much laughter. We both had a good, strong chuckle about it all, and it took a little bit longer to put the groceries away that day. Better yet, I can't help but chuckle every time I see one of those delivery bags with a sticker.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Timer

There are a bunch of everyday tasks around the Mild Home that require waiting some amount of time. Say I put want to put something in the oven, I need to make sure that I take it out after a set amount of time. I mean, bad things happen if you leave food in the oven for a long time. If you're lucky, it's just inedible; if you're unlucky, then the smoke alarm is involved. Quite a few of them involve food (steep the tea for X minutes, uncover the pot after Y minutes, etc.), so that should come as no surprise. However, I recently had to use baking soda and vinegar to help unclog a sink. As I discovered, you don't just dump those things down the sink. You wait 5-10 minutes after mixing those ingredients in the sink, to let them do their thing. Otherwise, it just fizzes for a bit, and nothing really happens. In either case, I needed to wait for a set amount of time. Now, when it comes to setting a timer, I have a few options. There are timers on the stove and on my cell phon...

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...