Skip to main content

Second Opinion

The Mild Wife generally likes to do her research when she buys things that are going to last a while. I mean, it makes sense: you're going to have this thing around for months, if not years, so you might as well make sure you make a good investment. No one is going to raise an eyebrow if you do your homework before buying a car, for example. It's an investment, so you want to make sure you know as much as possible before you buy it.

As I've pointed out before, though, this habit also extends to makeup. Now, it's not as big an investment from a pure financial standpoint, but as I've discovered, many of these products are meant to last many, many months. What's more, you are literally putting this product on your face. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to slap on something that made me look terrible. So, she does her homework. Like I said, this makes sense to me.

However, skin tones are not an exact science. It's not like there's a hex code for your skin that precisely identifies you skin tone. What's more, even if that did exist, people's skin is not always uniform all the way across their entire bodies. So, it takes serious time and effort to try to find something that matches your skin tone, looks the way you want it, and comes at a price point that you're comfortable with.

What makes it even harder, at least for the Mild Wife, is that sometimes she isn't directly in front of a store sample when she's curious about a particular product. I mean, if she was there in store, she would probably swatch a little bit of it on her forearm to see how well it matches her skin. But that's not always the case. In fact, I'd argue that scenario actually makes up a small minority of the times when she's curious about a particular product. So, she ends up looking at websites and other social media to try to judge whether something looks like it'd match her skin tone.

Lately, though, she has taken to getting a second opinion on these things: me. I don't think I'm particularly good at this or anything, but I'm around, I understand what she's trying to do, and I happen to have the benefit of seeing her frequently. I'm not going to be biased by what she already has in stock, plus I probably see her face more often than any other human on the face of the planet. So, as it turns out, I qualify as a good impartial judge.

This has led to discussions about "rosy undertones" or whether something is "too matte." Let me tell you, I never imagined this would be a part of my life, yet here we are. I know the Mild Wife appreciates the input and I'm happy to do it, but the whole thing makes me chuckle. Every so often, I find myself trying to help match a random picture on a makeup website's to my wife's face, and the whole notion that I'm trying to judge makeup makes me chuckle.

Second opinion, indeed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...