Skip to main content

On Anger

Generally speaking, I'm not prone to outbursts of emotion. This is particularly true of anger, since I try hard not to let my temper get the best of me. Don't get me wrong, I get angry just like everyone else does, but I try hard to jump to that particular emotion. I'm not even sure why I do this, to be honest, but it's one of those things that I've always done. Funnily enough, though, this particular trait has led to some awfully amusing exchanges.

First of all, I have this habit of verifying whether I should be upset, or how upset I should be, at a particular turn of events. It's my way of making sure I'm not overreacting, really. Sure, I've got my natural instinct for whether I should be angry, but I will solicit advice from others to keep myself from doing anything unnecessary. If you remember those old TBS commercials where someone would call in to verify if something was funny, it's a little bit like that (side note: the only good link I could find was for a set of old movie promos for a movie that wasn't even good, so I'm skipping the links this time).

As a result of this habit, though, I've gotten some funny responses to my stories. Remember, these are the same people that managed to make me laugh ridiculously hard after a break up. They've all got a way with words and they're not afraid to use it. So far, I think my favorite was when one of my friends wanted to express that she thought I dealt with the causes of this anger fairly well. There are a bunch of ways to word this, right? You could say something like, "good job not letting it get to you" or even something about a "level head." In that case, I'd thank you for the compliment and we'd move the conversation forward. Nope, not this friend. Instead, she said, "leave the moral compass at home, boy scout." Man, I was laughing for a while after that. Heck, I'm not sure that there is another valid response to that statement.

Incidentally, that last comment hints at the best part of this anger consultation: people encouraging me to get more angry. I mean, it was bound to happen, right? If it's possible for me to overreact, it's also possible for me to under-react. And when that happens, it's sheer comedy. I've had someone say to me that, "sometimes you just need to do some violence to get it out of your system. I say you burn [some item]." I've had mild-mannered friends offer to go on rampages on my behalf, and I've even had people scheme up ways that I should take out my soon-to-be-increased levels of anger.

To this day, though, my favorite instance of this has come from a conversation with my brother and sister-in-law. Rather than give you the play-by-play, I'll just let you appreciate it in all its glory:

Me: "I can't exactly get mad about that, that's not fair. The alternative is not being able to pay rent."
Sister-in-law: "What? Yes, you can."
Brother: "Yeah, [spouse] gets mad at me for no good reason all the time. That's life."

After everyone stopped laughing, I realized that this justified me getting angry even if the other person had a valid reason for their actions. Talk about having your cake and eating it, too. Can you see why this is my favorite example of encouraging anger? Though, for the record, I have yet to use this rationale to justify being mad at someone else.

All in all, though, this whole anger thing has made me laugh quite a bit. Ironic, no?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...