Skip to main content

Compliments 2

I have mentioned once before that I tend to hear all manner of oddball compliments. It's been over a year since I wrote that first post, though, so the weird remarks about me have added up since then. Ergo, I present to you a second round of strange compliments:

  • "You're a fat person in a skinny person's body"
    This was both a compliment on keeping myself fairly fit and an indictment of my eating habits. I tend to eat a lot, especially for my size. What's more, I tend to be very lax about making sure I eat the right kinds of food. Upon seeing this in action, one of my coworkers summed all of this up in nine words.
  • "Did you play football? You have big calves like a football player"
    The guy who said this actually used to play football, so he wasn't talking about something he knew nothing about. On the other hand, I've never played football on a team. I can't decide if this means I have an above-average amount of muscle there, or if I need to hit the gym harder.
  • "Your hair grows really fast. You were practically bald a few days ago. You're like a Chia pet."
    Um, thank you? I think that's a good thing. On the other hand, I remember reading once that some study correlated quick hair growth with early onset of baldness (I can't find a link to this now, though). In the meantime, I guess this means I won't look surprisingly young anytime soon.
  • "I saw a bunch of nerdy people standing in line, and I figured you'd know what it was about"
    I actually did know why they were standing in line. It was more of a fluke than anything else, but I think my fate as a techy geek is sealed. On the other hand, this also means that I occasionally know what's going on in the city (that's sort of a compliment, right?)
  • "You're not an engineer"
    This one came from my friend who works with nothing but engineers, all day long. She meant it to mean I'm not socially awkward, so maybe there's hope for me yet. Also, I'd be curious what'd happen if this friend and the friend for the item above met.
  • "Your life is depressingly devoid of drama. You don't break up like Jersey Shore."
    There goes my TV career (I'll gladly make that trade).
  • "You're done? You inhaled that book" *proceeds to make vacuum sounds*
    This one was from my sister. I apparently read faster than she does.
Now, I still think I'd rather have someone give me a funky compliment than an insult, so I'm not complaining. I'm just highly amused that people say these things about me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...