Skip to main content

You Gangsta, You

Whenever I type up a blog entry, I try to be helpful. If I use an English idiom that I suspect people won't be familiar with, I provide a link to something explaining said idiom. If I include some bit of Spanish that's pertinent to the story, I translate the phrase so that it makes sense. It's just one of those things that's been drilled into me over the course of my academic career. Professors insisted on bibliographies and English teachers insisted that I explained concepts. It's practically reflex by now, to the point that it feels wrong if I leave that bit out.

As a result, I end up doing a lot of browsing for links. Since I have started writing this blog, I have often found myself on the websites for Urban Dictionary, Wikipedia, and Merriam Webster. Google is also my friend, since I can usually rely on that for some of the more obscure references.

Anyhow, I was looking for one of these helpful links recently, and I stumbled across a top 10 rare & amusing insults list for Merriam Webster. Wait, what? I was looking through the dictionary, wasn't I? When did it suddenly turn into "Yo Mama" jokes?

Well, they have a bunch of other lists, so maybe this is just the exception to the rule. You figure the website is mostly meant for a fairly dry topic, so the insult list is a bit of an aberration, right? Apparently, no. They also have a list for 10 odd words that mean underwear, and a list for 10 odd words for bodily functions. Also, each of the lists have a small image that links to them and an image for each of the items on the list; a surprising number of them have the faces of (attractive) models as the image. I did not realize that teenage boys were running this website.

All of this led me to this post. Upon realizing that all of this was on the Merriam Webster site, my reaction was what you see in the title. Also, I'm going to have to start using mumpsimus in every day speech.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...