Skip to main content

Flair

A while back, a friend of mine went to Japan and brought back a good luck charm (omamori) for me as a souvenir. I'm not superstitious, but I figured it couldn't hurt. The actual omamori is about the size of a key, so it's not like it was going to take up tons of space. What's more, I figured I would need the protection the most when I was outside of my own home, so I stuck it on my key chain. The little bell on it meant that I had to sacrifice some stealth, but I figured if I really had to go all ninja on someone I wouldn't take my keys with me.

Because the omamori was on my key chain, I'd always remember it when I was driving. As a result, I came to think of it as my "good luck on the roads" charm. I've never gotten a speeding ticket, and I've never been in a collision with another car. Basically, any trouble I've ever had behind the wheel has been solely my fault; I'd say it's done its job well. And the longer the good luck has held up, the more superstitious I've became about it. I'm still not strict about it, and I have hopped in my car without it plenty of times. However, going from not really believing in it to thinking "man, too bad I left it at home" counts as becoming more superstitious.

Well, I got the omamori several years ago. The string on which it came started to fray, and it kept getting undone from my key chain. I eventually resorted to just sticking it in my pocket. It still did its thing, but I had to make a conscious effort to shove it in my pocket every time I went out. A couple of times, it fell out of my pocket, so I was a little worried that I might accidentally lose it one of these days.

This morning, as I was getting out of my car, it suddenly occurred to me: I can tie the thing to the rear-view mirror. I don't know why this has never occurred to me before. I suspect it's a practice more common amongst women than men, but that's more of a guess than anything else. The thing is supposed to protect me when I'm driving anyway, what better place than my car? Also, there's zero chance that I'll lose it or leave it at home that way. All in all, I couldn't really think of any reason not to do this, so I tied it up.

As soon as I did this, two more thoughts came to me:

  • My car has flair now
  • I am free to go all ninja if I want now. Watch out, world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...